My 2nd daughter is almost 5 months old and her paediatrician gave the below information and asked me to start solids for her accordingly. I have put this information on my blog as is so that I can refer it from time to time and with the hope that it will help some of my friends and readers. Good luck!
Please note: every child is different and there is no rule set in stone. Please use judgement and your doctor's advice always.
- Start with iron fortified single grain like rice cereals, oat cereals and wheat cereals.
- Start with 1-3 tsp once a day and increase to 2-4 tbsp twice a day.
- Purées of cooked meat poultry or fish, tofu, legumes (chick peas, lentils, kidney beans) well cooked and mashed 1-3 tbsp per day.
- Puréed cooked vegetables And fruits 2-3 tbsp 2-3 times a day
- Egg yolk at 6 months, hard boiled and mashed with water or vegetables.
- Iron fortified multiple grain baby cereals
- Whole grain breads, pasta, rice
- Unsalted crackers, baby biscuits
- Move to thicker Purées to minced or finely chopped soft meat, fish, poultry, tofu, egg yolks
- Soft mashed or bite sized and cooked vegetables and fruits
- At nine months, start yogurt, cottage cheese or grated cheese.
- If no family history of food allergies, may start with small amount of peanut butter or other types of nuts in food.
- Finger foods.
12months and above :
- Table foods, white eggs and honey.